Pros and Cons
- Excellent view range
- Excellent stock gun with the best penetration for its tier
- Great selection of weapons
- Gun mantlet can, surprisingly, bounce some shots
- Very wide gun traverse (almost equal to the Marder II)
- 105mm Schneider gun has very good alpha damage with respectable penetration
- Somewhat small target
- Open top means it is vulnerable against HE rounds and artillery fire
- Only moderately agile
- Sluggish acceleration
- Weak armor
Like most TDs, the S 35 CA is best suited for defensive tactics. Its weak armor, slow speed, and tall profile make it completely unsuitable for leading an attack, although it can certainly follow up and support teammates with its powerful gun selection. The tall profile is still a handicap, but it can actually work out favorably for this TD if you know the terrain well.
The high mounting of its gun means the S 35 CA can fire over obstacles easily. Use this to your advantage; with its good gun depression the S 35 CA can pull off a mean hull-down position, sitting behind a rock, hill, or knocked-out tank exposing little more than its mantlet and gun to enemy fire. Since the mantlet is close to 60 mm thick, it is the only part of this TD that has any chance of bouncing shots. This will not make this TD invulnerable though, as some tier V tanks can already penetrate both the mantlet and the armor behind it. A good tactic to practice to increase survivability is to "poke and shoot", retreating behind cover between shots and thereby making yourself a more difficult target to hit.
If you can't establish a hull-down position, the best option for this TD is sniping. Its accuracy is good although the aim time is quite long, and all of its guns have plenty of penetration to fire at and damage targets at longer ranges. Always keep a watchful eye out for artillery, or get some cover if you can; the S 35 CA will often get one-shot by a decent hit from almost any artillery piece it encounters. Make sure to research at least the 90mm before moving onto the ARL V39 as the 90mm is required to advance to the next tier and carries over to the ARL V39, together with unlocking the very powerful 90mm DCA 45.
- The top radio and engine carries over from the Somua SAu 40, and should be equipped immediately.
- The suspension should be researched next, as the stock suspension cannot hold the 90mm and 105mm.
- Go from there with your gun choices.