Pros and Cons
- Excellent rate of fire from 76 mm guns, even faster than French light tanks, but without the long reload
- Extremely armored turret and near-impenetrable mantlet that even tier 8 tanks cannot easily pen without aiming at your weakspot
- Gun mantlet and turret armor equals to roughly 250mm, impenetrable by most tanks it faces, other than some gold rounds
- 139mm thick glacis makes cresting safer
- Better armored than some heavies of its tier
- Ability to use Vertical Stabilizer (equipment)
- Very small frontal weakspots(e.g. cupola, machine gun port)
- Can handle and beat multiple low tier tanks at once
- Rather good acceleration and mobility, thanks to its engine
- Slow for a medium tank
- Low alpha damgage per shot
- Penetration is insufficient against many higher tier opponents
- 2nd turret is more of a downgrade in terms of overall armor
- Not a good grind bridge to the next tanks - you will not get the 90mm on the T29 and the T20 uses the M4A3E8 Sherman playstyle
The main advantage of the Jumbo is its strong front armor, especially its turret. This is especially true in city-fighting when it is angled around corners, hiding its weak side armor. Being virtually impenetrable(except for weakspots) from tier 5 guns, the M4A3E2 is a very dangerous opponent for many. For this reason the M4A3E2 can spearhead charges and come out with little injury whenever it is on top of the list.
Against higher tier opponents, it will find its armor more of a liability. More so, its gun proves to be very weak unless hitting weakspots . When facing a tougher target, flanking should often be the only option, but its slow speed is not conducive to flanking anything unless you catch them by surprise. As a result, you should shift into a supporting role when facing higher tiers. If alone and facing tanks with poor depression, it is a good idea to facehug them. With the stock turret's 152mm thick armor and extremely thick mantlet, it is almost impossible to penetrate. Be careful if you use the 105mm however, as the HE damage can damage your gun or even lower your HP. In such cases it is advisable to wait until the enemy has fired, then back away, fire and hug again.
Another potential tactic is side-scraping. Although the lower section of the side is only 38mm, the upper section is 76, and still can bounce any gun in game if angled correctly.If caught in the open, don't be afraid to show a bit of your side at an extreme angle. This tactic will increase both your frontal armor and side armor, causing tanks such as the Cromwell, T-34/85, and VK series to have trouble penning you. Players who have experience with German tanks like the E-75 and E-50 will be very comfortable with this tactic.
With generally better armor and roughly the same speed and manoeuvrability as the M6, this tank plays better as a heavy than as a medium. The only advantage the M6 has is its 90 mm gun. So, focus on targets you can penetrate and use your superior rate of fire to whittle them down.
One of more interesting aspects of the Jumbo are that it is one of the very few tanks in the game with a real choice between which turret to use. The 2nd turret is needed to use the improved M1A2 gun, offers more HP, and has superior view range. The 1st turret has very strong armour all around, but will leave you with the exact same guns the tier 5 M4 had. It is up to player preference whether to play the tank as a pseudo-heavy using the 1st turret and 105mm howitzer, or as a heavy medium using the 2nd turret and M1A2 gun.
The Jumbo also has a 139mm thick lower glacis plate that is somewhat similar to the one found on the M36 Jackson but far thicker. This unusual feature makes the Jumbo a tough nut to crack, even when it's cresting a hill. When you get tracked while cresting, you can still bounce some shots but artillery will soon fire on you. Therefore, use this feature defensively and play smart.
- Upon purchasing this tank, immediately install the Wright Continental R-975C4 engine and upgrade the radio.
- You may need to upgrade the suspension, as the tank starts fairly close to its initial weight limit.
- Next work on researching the turret.
- Go from there.