Developed on the basis of the Panther II. The vehicle was to be equipped with a 128 mm gun, with the cabin to be located in the rear. Existed only in blueprints.
The Jagdpanther II, along with its cousin, the Ferdinand, are two of Germany's three tier 8 tank destroyers. Possessing the same guns, they are both extremely powerful and pack a huge punch. It has a sloped armor like the Panther and as such will bounce a few shots. It is also much faster than most Tank destroyers of its tier, due to its lighter weight. Keep in mind though, the armor is still quite thin, and to best utilize your tank you should employ ambush or sniping tactics, using the element of surprise as your weapon. The JagdPanther II will be able to inflict substantial damage and dart away before the enemy gets a clear shot. With proper use, the Jagdpanther II can become a fearsome opponent.
Many players compare this tank with its twin, the Ferdinand as it carries the same guns and has (almost) the same reload time, but the Jadgpanther II puts emphasis on its Maneuverability over armor allowing it to move and relocate surprisingly fast on the battlefield, while being faster than the Ferdinand, it doesn't have a very good gun traverse and gun depression (compared that of the Ferdinand), requiring to move more often to readjust the aim against an enemy, but it makes no less of a threat.
The Jagdpanther II leads to the Jagdtiger.
Pros and Cons
- Excellent maneuverability on a hard terrain (AMX 13 90 or WZ-132 will have extreme difficulty circling you) and still very good in a average terrain
- Great acceleration
- Very powerful and accurate top gun
- Adequate stock gun and engine assuming that you use the top engine on JagdPanther (makes stock grinding pretty enjoyable)
- Impossible to be circled by most tanks due to the very fast turning
- Very strong superstructure (Almost 300mm effective, Armour wise better at Hull-down than Ferdinand)
- Mantlet can bounce and/or absorb damage even from Tier X guns, but can sometimes be penetrated even form tier VI tanks
- Able to research the top engine of the Jagdtiger
- Great for ramming mediums and light heavies
- Can mount the top gun with stock suspension
- Very tall
- Armour is non-existent (Front superstructure excepted)
- Relatively bad gun depression thus preventing it to going hull down
- Engine in front of hull is easily damaged
- Small area near the mantle is actually a weak spot
- Does not get a 2nd loader like the Ferdinand, and the next two TDs in the line use two loaders; having to start a brand new loader at tier 8 is preferable to doing so at tier 9
The JagdPanther II is a very versatile TD (much more so than Ferdinand). It can fit and perform adequately in pretty much every situation. It's not only can be played as a sniper and supporter to the main force just like typical tank destroyer, but can also be used as a brawler and flanker if needed. You can even wolfpack with mediums and support them with your firepower if you want. The 128mm gun can easily penetrate any tier 8 and below without any trouble. Another good thing is because of your agility, you dont have to be afraid of being circled by mediums.
However do note that its weaknesses which is its huge frame and poor armor as compared to the Ferdinand. Due to its size, it has poor camouflage value and thus it is easy to be spotted before you ever spot them. Its armor is similar to that of the Panther II however due to the fact that it is a non-turret tank like all TDs, you are unable to slope while returning fire nor is your armor as sturdy as the Ferdinand in such a case.
Overall, it's a very fun tank to play in a skilled player that knows how to maximize its strength and easily be one of the best tank in tier 8.
- Research the biggest engine (the Maybach HL 234) as soon as possible, as this tank without this big engine is only a Ferdinand without the big armor.
- Research suspension.
- Go for the 12,8cm PaK 44 L/55.
Panzer Tracts 20-1,Jentz & Doyle, pg 49, Panzer Tracts, 2001.