Pros and Cons
- Impressive acceleration with a good top speed
- Top gun has very good damage and penetration, as well as decent accuracy for sniping
- Very low silhouette; can "side hug" some tanks and easily stay below their gun depression
- Extremely good camouflage value, 100% camo crew training cuts enemy view range by 40% (say from 400 to 240)
- Low fall damage
- Makes good amounts of credits
- Loses little speed on turns because of good traction
- APCR ammunition has penetration comparable to tier 10 guns
- Can almost always use hilly terrain to its advantage
- Hull is mostly under the top of the tracks, resulting in track damage for the cost of having no HP taken(unless the shot is an explosive)
- Somewhat expensive shells (for tier 5)
- Very bad aim time on the top gun
- Extremely limited turret rotation
- Slow rate of fire on the top gun
- Shorter view range than its counterpart scouts from other nations
- Poor signal range, which makes it bad for scouting in the early tiers
- Very low weight, making ramming (or even bumping into tanks) very dangerous
- Frontally mounted transmission and engine that's prone to being knocked out as well as catching fire
- Lack of armor makes it very vulnerable to HE shells, this combined with its somewhat low health makes it quite easy to oneshot
- Poor gun elevation and depression
- Rear mounted turret coupled with small size requires you to expose the tank when shooting over hills.
- Rear mounted turret coupled with limited traverse makes successful peek-a-boo combat impossible
Everything you've come to know about French tanks changes with this vehicle. You'll have to forget about the armor of the AMX 40, but for the first time you'll be able to move at high speed and use a great gun. In fact the ELC AMX has the highest damage and penetration of all tier 5s (excluding tank destroyers). Its ability to flank is limited because of its lack of a fully rotatable turret. It can't circle shoot at all. As a result, when using the 90mm gun, you have two options. The best way to think of the 90mm is as a sniper rifle. You can fire from a prepared position taking your time to aim or you can jam the barrel into the side of enemy tanks and pull the trigger. Scouting is only recommended in the higher tiers where your teammates have better radios than you and therefore can get the information that your poor radio otherwise couldn't send them in the lower tiers. The size, weight, and play style of this tank are comparable to the French Renault UE 57 tank destroyer. Keep in mind of how hard it is to hit you, as it could be useful in many situations. Be prepared to help teammates out, by scouting, flanking, or drawing an enemy's attention away for an "easy kill." This tank MUST be coordinated with allies, let them know what you're trying to do before you do it, although you can proceed to what you NEED to do in hurry cases. Help allies out, and the battlefield would technically be your team's turf.
The playstyle changes somewhat once you reach the highest tiers. Indeed, the ELC faces higher tiers than most tier 5s, facing off against up to tier 9 tanks. There, your maneuverability and small size will help you best, and if you feel confident and master the battlefield enough, you can engage isolated heavy tanks and tank destroyers and get behind enemy lines. Your worst enemies are tanks that can chase you, or even ram you, like mediums and other light tanks.
Due to its short height, the ELC can sidehug a lot of heavy tanks and it would be impossible to hit, because some tanks do not have enough gun depression to reach it, though this is not recommended in the lower tiers or versus American tanks, as these tanks usually have enough depression to hit you, even when you are behind them.
You can also perform a drive-by, or "hit-and-run;" going at high speeds to the enemy, firing when you are close (around 20-30 meters) and then running away. This strategy works excellent against tanks low on health, as you can most likely kill them before they can even return fire.
- The ER 53 radio carries over from the AMX 40, so it's available immediately.
- First research the 250hp SOFAM 8Gxb engine for a significant increase in acceleration.
- Research the 75mm Long 44 for a much needed penetration increase.
- Research the 90mm D914, which is easily the best gun for this vehicle.
- Upgrade the suspension last, as the added weight capacity is unnecessary, but gives a bit more traverse speed.
- Now research the AMX 12t, and prepare for a radical change in playstyle.