The A-43 is a Soviet tier 6 medium tank.
Developed at Factory No. 183 in 1941 under the designation A-43. The vehicle was to replace the T-34. The A-43 was conceived to feature a torsion bar suspension, a B-5 engine, a new transmission, a commander's cupola, and front armor enhanced to 60 mm.
The A-43 leads to the A-44.
In January 1941 the A43 project, a modernised variant of the T34, (also known under designation T34M) was proposed. Proposal came from Factory No. 183 where first two prototypes were scheduled for poduction at March 1941. The new tank was to be superior to T34, but this superiority in the end played a negative role in its fate. The Christie suspension was replaced by torsion bars which resulted in the ground clearance of the T34M being increased by an additional 50mm. In April 1941 there were three hulls ready, and in may there were as much as 50 pressed turrets for T-34M ready to be used. The problem was in the powerplant, as the used V5 diesel were not yet ready. This caused delay to the final assembly, and with the progress of the war, which put soviets in a desperate need for "numbers", the project was abandoned. It was concluded that any change in production plans would affect the current production which was out of the question.